If you require more information on any of our lessons or our terms and conditions please contact the team.
Where will my lesson be held?
All our lessons are conducted at Westward Ho! in North Devon. We have a huge beach to use for land sports, and the beautiful atlantic for our water lessons. On occasions we can come to you, please contact for further information.
When do you teach?
We teach from April to November, 7 days a week. The winter is just too cold and we have found not productive for learning. Though if you feel hardy enough let us know and we can teach you! Weekends do book up quickly, so book early to avoid dissapointment. Timings for lessons vary depending on wind and tide conditions, but we will let you know your personal timings when you book.
I booked my course, what next?
Once you have booked and paid for your course you will need to contact us to arrange a date. Please be aware we are wind and tide dependant and days also book up quick. So please contact us with enough time to get your preferred date.
What happens if there is no wind?
As much as we would love to control the weather, unfortunately we cannot meaning on occasions we will need to postpone your lesson to the next available day. If you are coming on holiday we recommend booking your lesson for the beginning of your stay to give us a few days to play with if the weather does not play ball. If you do not manage to complete your course we supply you with a voucher valid for 12 months from time of purchase.
What do I need to bring?
We supply all of the kite equipment including full safety protection, though please feel free to bring your own if you have any. We also supply top of the range winter wetsuits for all our water courses. Please note these are sized S to XL, if you require a different size they are available to hire from the local surf shop in Westward Ho! town. We do not supply booties, but do have some for sale if you get cold toes. Aside from that, warm clothes, a towel, water, packed lunch, suncream and sunglasses are a must. Sturdy footwear and a spare change of clothes is recommended for all land based lessons. Please also bring your booking confirmation/voucher and completed disclaimer.
Do you teach children?
Yes! And you will be surprised how quickly they pick it up! We do need to take great care with the conditions when teaching children as too much wind happens a lot quicker for riders under 50KGs. For our water courses, all students under 18 will need their parent/guardian with them on the water. We do recommend private lessons for children due to different sized equipment used, and a full day course can often be too much for the younger rider. Please contact us for any further questions about younger kite surfers.
Is it safe?
514 Elemental adheres to the strictest of safety guidelines set out by the national governing body, the British Kitesports Association (BKSA). All our instructors are BKSA qualified and we require at least 3 years of personal riding experience to join the team. Kitesurfing has in the past had some bad press, but the past few years have seen a massive change in kite design meaning things are ten times safer and easier then they were only a few years ago.
Do I need to be able to swim?
Yes. Though you will most likely not go out of your depth, we do require all students on water courses to be able to confidently swim 100meters. All students also wear a certified Buoyancy Aid at all times whilst on the water.
What if it's raining?
If you are on a land course then we recommend water proofs. If you are on a water course, you will get wetter than any rain could get you!
I bought a gift voucher which expires soon, help!
All our 514Elemental lesson vouchers are valid for 12 months from point of purchase so there is plenty of time for that lesson. If you purchased a voucher externally, i.e. Groupon, then the voucher validity is clearly stated. Please make sure you book your lesson with plenty of time as slots do book up, and on occasions we do need to rearrange due to unfavourable conditions.
514Elemental Terms & Conditions
When using www.514elemental.com and using any of its services you agree by these terms and conditions. If you do not please refrain from using www.514elemental.com and its services.
General terms and conditions
This site is owned and operated by 514Elemental Ltd.
Ownership of rights
All rights, including copyright, in this website are owned by or licensed to 514Elemental. You may not modify, distribute or re-post anything on this website for any purpose. Any use of this website or its contents, including copying or storing it or them in whole or part, other than for your own personal, non-commercial use is prohibited without the permission of 514Elemental.
The privacy of our customers here at 514elemental is key.
When using the website here at 514elemental, we hold your privacy in high regard. We only hold certain data that is vital to you securing your booking here with us.
We will always hold your name, address, email address and phone number.
Phone and in person transactions are taken using a Streamline terminal and no customer information is stored.
514Elemental will NOT distribute your information to other parties.
514Elemental will refrain from contacting you unless you have agreed to services such as joining a newsletter or unless it is regarding your booking.
1) Lessons are not confirmed until full payment or a 50% deposit has been received.
2) All booking fees and lessons must be used within a duration of 12 months from the initial booking date and vouchers are not refunded if not used.
3) By paying for a lesson you are deemed to have agreed to our terms and conditions and that you have no health conditions that may make kiteboarding hazardous for yourself or others. Also that your general fitness is good and you are comfortable in the water being able to swim 100 meters unaided.
4) Lessons booked online are subject to availability, specific dates are not guaranteed and must be arranged by contacting 514Elemental. All lessons are taken with other students, unless you have opted to go private.
5) Once a lesson date has been agreed, they are non-transferable unless we are contacted no later than ten days before the lesson is due to start. In this case we will move it to a mutually agreeable date as refunds are not possible. Cancellations less than ten days from when the course commences will be liable for full payment.
6) Lessons will start at the arranged time and on time – if you are late or do not attend your lesson you will be charged the full rate.
7) 514Elemental will make all decisions regarding how the lesson is run and if and when the lessons should be ended. The instructor may end the lesson for any reason but if the weather fails then we will make arrangements for your remaining time to be completed another day.
8) 514Elemental has full public liability insurance but students must be aware that kitesurfing is potentially dangerous and is undertaken at your own risk. We do not cover you for personal accident and injury so you should take out your own personal accident insurance to cover kitesurfing.
9) After you make the payment online we will send an email confirming the lesson date and time. Attached to this will be a information pack, lesson guidelines and a legal disclaimer that you must fill in and bring on the first day of your course.